Friday 9 November 2012

Sushi!!!! How to make this delicious dish


 Healthy eating is as, if not more, important than exercise. Your body cannot have the strength to exercise without the correct and best fuel! Making the right food choices is essential in weight loss and being as healthy as possible. I am on a mission to help you achieve these health goals.

I want to start with one of my favorite foods to eat, SUSHI! It is so versatile and extremely delicious and not as difficult to prepare as most people think.Here I will bring you through the steps I use to make it and show you where you can make variations for your own tastes.There are 3 main items you will need to make sushi.


  1. Rice (preferably sushi rice)
  2. Sushi paper (nori)
  3. Sushi mat (for rolling the sushi)
The other ingredients are optional depending on what flavors you would like to use, but always stick with fresh ingredients for health and flavor purposes.To prepare the rice, if it is not sushi rice, I wash the rice multiple times, this is to remove the starch from the rice to allow it to become sticky and fluffy.

Just add the quantity of rice you would like to use to a bowl or pot, add cold water and mix for 2-3 mins, then drain, repeat this 4 - 5 times. when the water is clear, most of the starch should be washed out. My preferred method for cooking the rice is through a steamer, but cooking it in a pot should work fine also, add water to the rice and cook until it has become sticky and fluffy. While the rice is cooking I like to prep my ingredients, some ideas are...

Fresh salmon with Avocado,
Smoked Salmon with light cream cheese,
Canned Tuna with chilies and spring onion,
Fresh Tuna with red peppers,
Chicken and red onion,
Chicken and cucumber,

But don't just stick to these, be inventive!

When the rice is cooked, I put it into a large bowl to let it cool, I may stir it a few times to release the heat, you don't want to eat hot sushi! While it cools I get a bowl of water for my hands as I find it much easier to work with the sticky rice with wet hands, otherwise it sticks to everything.

First place your sushi mat on a counter, then put a sheet of the sushi nori on the mat. You can see the strips of the mat are horizontal.








Next we need to put the rice on the nori, this is where I wet my hands as you will be handling the rice, from the end nearest to you cover the nori with rice just over 1cm high leaving a little space on the sides, cover roughly three quarters of the nori with rice like you can see in the image,






Next add the contents of the sushi you would like to have, gut it in strips
so you can lay it out neatly across the sushi roll. Here I have made fresh salmon, with some cucumber and a little light cream cheese.






From the end of the mat nearest to you roll the sushi squeezing it tight to
add pressure so it sticks together, I wet the clear end with a little water to
help it stick.






Your sushi roll should then be complete, unwrap it from the sushi mat and slice it into pieces with a wet sharp knife to create sushi pieces!






I hope this helps you in your quest to eating delicious healthy food, please feel free to share this blog with friends to spread the word of good healthy eating and living.

Michael :)

No comments:

Post a Comment