Sunday 7 October 2012

Welcome to Bodycoach

If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd be a Health Coach...I might have laughed in your face. See health was never important to me. I started smoking when I was 13, I ate junk food on a daily basis, and I was always fatigued and depressed, never having any drive to go forward in life. Looking back, I feel that this is something a lot of people can relate to. You may not have been born chewing carrots and running laps...but, it's never too late to start.

At my lowest point I was 18 and a half stone, walking made me sweat uncontrollably. I can vividly remember being on holidays in Spain one year and our villa was on a hill, I decided to go for a walk, the walk lasted 3 minutes because I couldn't go any further. As in I actually couldn't, not I didn't want to, or I was tired. I was physically unable. That was not just a scary thought, but a realisation I had to face.

At about the same time my father was diagnosed with Cancer for the second time. My family all lead very poor lifestyles, there was no education on nutrition or exercise. I was surrounded by illness, poor health, lack of fitness, and depression. Basically, I didn't know any better. I grew up with a lifestyle that was slicing
valuable years off my life. I knew I needed to do something. So I did. I started working on teaching myself how to get fit and healthy.

I set myself a goal, I could barely climb the hill while on holidays in Spain. But rather than aim low I decided to go big. I wanted to climb the highest mountain in Africa, Kilimanjaro. I can tell you right now that people thought I was crazy, I questioned it myself at time. But on the 16 of September 2009 I achieved that goal. It was a very proud moment for me as I was always an underachiever, but that was a massive target reached. The months and months of work put in to condition my body were immense and it brought tears to my eyes when I finally completed it!

However, when I finished I slipped back into my old ways: booze, smoking, junk food, no exercise. I had lost so much weight, and within a few months I had put it back on again.

My father was again diagnosed with cancer, my self worth was depleting and I was slipping back into the old routine. I couldn't let it happen.

One day, myself and my partner found out we were expecting a baby. I couldn't allow my child to see me in poor health, the thought of being a bad example to them was all the motivation I needed. I went to town on my health: I cut out junk food and decided to "eat clean". I woke up at 6.30am everyday to exercise: go to the gym or running or whatever else I could do. I got fit, fitter than I have ever been, I lost the weight, I got stronger and faster and most importantly happier. I got my qualification in personal fitness and I learned that exercise and good food, good vitamins and minerals change the person you are to a better person and from now on I'm keeping myself this way, the way I like myself.

My next and final "Goal", is to try and help everyone I can become the same as me. Healthier and happier, I really believe a lot of problems for people in life can be fixed if they take some control over their lifestyle, then inspire them to change someone else's life. If it worked for me it can work for anyone, if you currently feel low, unhealthy, and want help in changing for the better, please get in touch with me and we can work out a plan to suit you and your lifestyle. Everyone's main objective in life is to be happier, this is the first step in getting there.

This is not a change for a few months, or a diet. This is a new life and a happier healthier you.

I look forward to helping you be happy.

Regards

Michael Geraghty
Bodycoach.ie






No comments:

Post a Comment